Malignant melanoma incidence rates in the UK have quadrupled in the last thirty years. Take a look at the ABCDE method of checking your moles and make an appointment with your GP if any of your moles are worrying you.
Last week was male cancer awareness week and ITV’s ‘This Morning’ ran a pop-up Live Male Cancer Clinic at Westfield shopping Centre in London.
One of the topics covered by Dr Dawn Harper was malignant melanomas and she talked through an easy 5-point way to remember the key criteria used to assess a mole. Using the letters A, B, C, D & E, take a look at the points below and make a note to check again in 6 months or a year, as it’s the changes in a mole that can indicate an issue.
Watch the video of the event here: http://www.itv.com/thismorning/health
• A stands for asymmetrical – melanomas have two very different halves and are an irregular shape.
• B stands for border – unlike a normal mole, melanomas have a notched or ragged border.
• C stands for colours – melanomas will be a mix of two or more colours.
• D stands for diameter – unlike most moles, melanomas are larger than 6mm (1/4 inch) in diameter.
• E stands for enlargement or evolution – a mole that changes characteristics and size over time is more likely to be a melanoma.
For pictures, you can visit the NHS website here: http://www.nhs.uk/tools/pages/mole-slideshow.aspx
The Doctors at the Skin Surgery Clinic, who are all trained in Dermatology can assess your moles to ensure that they are benign and therefore suitable for removal without biopsy. They will be able to explain all the options available to you in full and guide you through the potential treatments available.
The Skin Surgery Clinic is a division of Good Skin Days; a medically registered skin clinic based in Guiseley, Leeds, West Yorkshire offering skin surgery procedures such as the removal of Moles, Warts, Verrucae and Skin Tags with our expert medical team.
We also offer non-surgical cosmetic treatments, including Laser Hair Removal, Anti-Wrinkle Injections (Botox®), Clear + Brilliant® Dermal Filler, Lip Filler and bespoke skin rejuvenation packages.